I mentioned earlier that at the Fleece Sale, I split a 6lb. dorset fleece with a friend. Washed it all up on that first day. The following weekend I divided it into 4oz portions. That’s when I realized I lost nearly an entire pound in the washing process. I ended up with 8 – 4oz bags. The plan was to dye each portion some variation on the theme of green. I had a large jar of blue and another of yellow. So into each dye pot went a combination of blue:yellow.
After they dried, I teased and blended them — and then put them through the drum carder. You can see the piles of green, blue and bright green.
The plan was to put them throught the drum carder a few more times. However, on Tuesday I attended a spinning demonstration at the Fort in Fort Langley. I didn’t have much time to plan this — so I just grabbed a batt of this fibre. It could have used a couple more passes, but it still spun up with no trouble. I like the fact that it isn’t completely blended, so the colours come out in inconsistent ways. Just like they do when you are looking at a field of hay, or a body of water.
I spun the entire batt onto one bobbin and then navajo plied it. Here’s the result — washed and thwacked to encourage blooming. It’s not my best spinning, but I like the fact that it really looks handspun.