I started with a pile of wool of various colours. Pinks, burgundys and some natural brown. Blended that together and made two good sized batts. It’s the dark coloured batt at the top of the picture below.
I had two good sized batts of cream coloured alpaca in my stash along with a batt of pink and purple mohair. Divided the wool, alpaca and mohair into six equal parts that I would blend. All this fibre is locally sourced.
I put the fibres through the drum carder in layers. On the second pass through the carder, I pulled fibre off the end of the batt so I would have a chunk the length of the staple. I put these clumps through the drum carder sideways. This makes the fibres blend quickly and evenly.
The final pass through the drum carder is done to straighten out the fibres and blend them one final time.
This is batt #6 coming off the drum carder.
I have six of these batts for a total of 1/2 pound of blended fibre. That was time well spent.