I finally made a decision about this yarn. It’s been sitting on the bobbin fully plied for well over a week. In fact I
wanted it to be thought it was over plied, waiting to be plied again into a cabled yarn.
However, I forgot that I over plied the first singles (because I had a particular plan in mind) so when I plied them together, what I thought was over plying was just making a good balanced yarn. And that’s what you see here.
The problem was I jumped plans. For a cabled yarn, I should have a put a gentle amount of twist into the fist singles; then take the singles and overply them — which means putting much more twist into your plying than you normally would; and then cable them (ply them again moving in the opposite direction) with a regular amount of twist. This under twist; over twist; under twist, will result in a soft cabled yarn.
But I didn’t do that.
I started with the experiement of putting a lot of twist into the singles, then let the project sit for a long time. I decided when I looked at the colours, that I wanted to try a cabled yarn with it — forgetting the severe amount of twist I put into the singles. There was so much twist needed in the first ply, that when I tried to make a cabled yarn, it was as hard as a cable. Not the effect I wanted at all.
I hope this all isn’t terribly confusing. So let me synthesize it — I started with a plan, and I needed to stick with that plan. I jumped into another plan halfway, and what I did in step 1, really did matter.
It’s a nice yarn with good colourways. With a lot of twist in it and, balanced like it is, it will make a very good sock yarn. It’s not a disaster, at all.
But I still don’t have a cabled yarn.