I tried another shawl with the Waterfall yarn I made during Spinzilla week. This is the Spiral Staircase pattern from Ravelry. Easy peasy. While it does do what I was hoping it would so, show off the subtle colour gradations – I should have used larger needles. This shawl is too small for my liking and the fabric that knit up — on the 4mm needles is too dense. I’m going to try it again with 6mm needles so the fabric will be looser and have a chance to drape.
And I will plan it better, so I use every inch of the yarn, unlike the sample above.
This incomplete story is the tale of a shawl — from fibre to yarn to shawl. The shawl itself is not complete as is this blog post. But stay tuned. I’ll find my camera and take pictures of the next phase of this art object.
This shawl started out as a lovely roving from the Sweet Georgia Yarns fibre club. The colourway is called Waterfall. In the notes that accompanied the roving, Felicia suggested we try an Ombre approach. Separating all the colours, spinning them in the single colour sequence and then chain plying. So that’s what I did.
This was the first thing I spun for the Spinzilla contest. And here are all the rolags nicely carded into the colourways and put into some kind of Ombre order.
After an hour of spinning, I was mostly finished with the blue.
After a couple of hours, the green was done too.
[Not sure why this photo is the size of a postage stamp.]
Here is the final yarn, chain plied to preserve the colour ways. You can see the silk shining through.
And here’s the first attempt at a shawl. It’s the Adhara Rainbow Shawl — pattern was from Elann.com but I can’t find it anymore. It’s essentially a feather and fan pattern that grows.
I kept getting lost in the pattern and ended up un-knitting more than I was knitting. So decided that the yarn/pattern were telling me something.
So I tried another one.
Photos of that one tomorrow.