I have been making good progress on these socks. It has been a creative marathon.
The challenge is that the pattern is for a mid-length sock and my friendship wants knee-high lace socks. Hence the challenge to
a) figure out a way to increase the number of stitches so it can grow around the calf
b) do this in a way that it grows beautifully and naturally out of the already established pattern AND
c) execute it twice.
When I first imagined doing this I thought I would simply increase the number of purl stitches in the purl ditches separating the lace columns. But I didn’t like that look and besides, I wanted all the increasing to happen at the back of the leg.
So this is what I did – as I approached the bottom of the calf, I went up a needle size from 2.75 mm to 3 mm. Then I “grew” another column of lace stitches out of the purl ditch on either side of the central lace column at the back of the leg. After knitting 1.5 inches, I increased another 4 stitches in the purl ditches at the back of the leg.
Total increase – 14 stitches. And I think the look is just fine. (When fully complete, I’ll take photos of them on so you can see the effect.) As I get near the top of the sock, before I start the edging rib stitches, I have decreased the four purl increases. I will decrease another five to bring it to 70 stitches. Then using 2.75 mm needles again, I will knit 2 inches of 1 x 1 rib, cast off loosely and call it a day.
I’ve been knitting these socks in tandem so I could make the necessary pattern modifications and still end up with matching socks.
Sock #1 is waiting for me to start the 1 x 1 rib.
Sock #2 is still being knit in pattern with all the increases in. I have two more pattern repeats and then the decreases, and then the 1 x 1 rib.
I am planning to finish these up as I watch several episodes of Lidia’s Italy .
Here’s a snapshot of the two columns of lace increases across the back.
This month I’ve joined my local yarn shop in their celebrations of the Sochi Winter Olympics. They are hosting a knit/crochet challenge that has three levels of competitions: Gold, Silver and Bronze, along with several other wonderful prizes for participants.
To join in, you needed to identify your project before midnight on Thursday and couldn’t start knitting until the Opening Ceremony began at 8:14am Pacific Time. The project I identified was a pair of knee-high lace-rib socks. The pattern is toe-up, something I’ve never done before, and while the pattern is only for mid-calf and my friend wants knee high. Because of this, my project has been put into the Gold (Moscow Biathlon Participants) category.
I had the yarn picked out and had swatched prior to the official starting time. This photo shows how far I’ve come in two days. Because I am making modifications to the pattern I am knitting these in tandem. Toe for sock #1, then over to the toe for sock #2. What you see here is one toe complete, and on the other sock, the foot, nearly up to the place to start the heel. When I get to that point, I’ll stop, and start on the second sock. Then I turn the heels at the same time and will be able to do the shaping for the calves at the same time.
(The next time I photograph these socks, I’ll put them on my feet so you can see the lace.)
The foot for these socks need to be 9.5 inches long, and the leg 16.25 inches high, add 2 inches for the heel and each sock represents about . That’s 28 inches (27.75) for each sock a total of 56 inches. If there are 17 days of knitting to be had during the Olympics, then that means that I need to do a minimum of 3.3 inches on these socks every day to stay on track for a completion before the closing ceremonies. I think that’s manageable.
Monday morning update,both pairs of socks ready for the short row heel: