The yarn for these mitts came from Sweet Georgia Yarns Fibre Club – this was the March installment
. The fibre is English Shetland, a lovely wool to work with. I spun this yarn up on my spindle. After working with the slippery fibres from the January and February installments, it was a relief to work with fibre that has a bit of stick to it.
While they don’t look exactly the same, they are definitely a pair. The pattern for these mitts is my own, it’s a coin lace with a lovely thumb gusset that grows gracefully out of the coin lace. Knit on 3mm needles with 48 stitches, they knit up really fast. It’s become my standby mitt pattern. It’s all in my head and I can easily make minor variations to mix it up a bit.
I’ll post it on Ravelry soon.
I mentioned in an earlier post that I obtained some wool from Acacia Acres farms. A dark grey romney named Ashley and a white romney named Ebony.
Over the weekend I did some blending. I made a 50% – 50% blend of dark grey and white. It makes a lovely light grey that I featured in that earlier post. This time I spun a couple of full bobbins of the blended grey. Next I spun a bobbin full of dark grey/Ashley and plied that with the lighter blended grey. Blended greys are on top and the dark grey/Ashley is in the lower bobbin.
The plied yarn from these singles, are the skein on the left. The skein on the right is a two-ply of blended greys and white Ebony.
And the same photo with the flash on, you can see the barber polling a bit better in this photo.
I am really happy with this yarn — both skeins are going to be knit up into half-mitts. Haven’t decided if I will do any dyeing with these yet. But that’s a whole other variation on the theme.
What you see here is 73 grams and 222 metres of fingering/sport weight yarn all ready for knitting. I still have another 30 odd grams of fibre left. But I really think I have enough to knit elbow length gauntlets.
The picture on top shows the sheen that comes through from the blended silk. And the photo below, without the flash, shows the noils. The nasty noils that caused me stress but ended up being quite a nice, if not intentional, addition to the yarn.
It may have lots of noils, but it’s really knitting up nicely. Here’s mitt #1. It’s quite an elegant thing. When I am finished the pair I’ll do a full on post about the pattern and such. But for now, this is a quickie.